By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
OptionMonster's real-time tracking systems detected the purchase of almost 5,000 February 20 calls Wednesday against open interest of just 689 contracts. Most of them traded for 75 cents to 80 cents.
These calls lock in the price investors must pay to buy shares, so they can generate major leverage if the stock moves in the right direction. But the options can also lose all their value if a rally doesn't occur before they expire at the end of next week.Silicon Motion's shares rose 1.79% to $19.30 Wednesday, down from an intraday high of $20.45. The provider of mobile chips more than doubled last year amid repeatedly strong earnings reports. It beat estimates again last week, prompting management to issue guidance above analysts' expectations. The stock tried to rally but then rolled over as investors took profits, falling from about $24 to $19. Wednesday's option activity suggested that some buyers are now returning to the name. ore than 8,300 contracts traded in total, compared with the average of about 500 in a session. Overall calls at all strikes outnumbered puts by 10 to 1. Russell has no positions in SIMO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV