DETROIT MainStreet) -- Used-car prices are high and trending higher, but bargains do exist.
For instance, the 2002 Infiniti G20 was a luxury car, yet it goes for an average price of $5,965, according to Kelley Blue Book. The car is "a diamond among used-car jewels," says Jason Allan, kbb.com managing editor. It is cheap, he says, because "it wasn't a big car and people are a little afraid to buy something they're not familiar with."
|Ford's Crown Victoria stands out amid a lot of fuel-efficient small used cars made by Japanese and Korean manufacturers.|
In fact, this hidden bargain ranked No. 2 on the list of the top 10 used cars for under $8,000. Kelley Blue Book's list has rarely been more relevant, given the continuing weak economy and continuing high demand for used cars.The National Automobile Dealers Association recently said that increasing demand and diminished supply will push used car prices up by 1.8% this year, peaking in April and May, following a 3% increase in 2011. Used car prices are at or near record levels. The Kelley Blue Book staff created its list by compiling every used car from 2002 and newer with a Kelley Blue Book retail value below $8,000. "We considered all of our experience with the vehicles as well as consumer ratings and reputations," Allan says. Here is the list, starting with the 10th-biggest bargain.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV