ST. LOUIS, Feb. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Stereotaxis, Inc. (NASDAQ: STXS) today announced that its Vdrive™ Robotic Navigation System, which provides physicians the ability to remotely manipulate traditionally non-robotic catheters, is growing in popularity and is expected to surpass 500 clinical procedures in Europe in February. The company also announced it has received regulatory clearance from Health Canada to commercially market the device in Canada.
Since the initial product release in Europe in 2011, the Vdrive system has been installed in nine centers, with units scheduled to be installed in additional centers during the first quarter of 2012. The initial nine centers have performed 473 clinical cases with approximately 80% being completed in the left atrium of the heart.
Numerous cases have been performed with the Vdrive™ system and clinical feedback continues to be very positive," said Michael P. Kaminski, President and CEO of Stereotaxis. "With the Health Canada market clearance for the Vdrive system, and our planned new Vdrive installations in Europe and Canada this year, we are well-positioned to drive the growth and further adoption of this exciting technology in electrophysiology labs in these important markets."
In a fully remote procedure environment, the Vdrive system increases the clinical techniques available to the physician and reduces the need to re-enter the sterile field to adjust devices. Initial clinical data from European physicians demonstrates that this simplification saves 30 minutes(1) or more in robotic procedures, depending on the individual clinical technique. Furthermore, the addition of robotic diagnostic catheter manipulation is another step in Stereotaxis' vision to improve device control. Stereotaxis' broad Epoch ™ solutions portfolio also includes precise magnetic control of ablation catheters with Niobe® ES and integrated display and control of multiple lab technologies with the Odyssey™ Clinical Information Management System.The design of the Vdrive system allows the robotic hardware to adapt to different clinical techniques depending on the disposable adaptor that is attached to the arm:
- V-Loop™ circular catheter manipulator allows control of circular diagnostic catheters, primarily in left atrial procedures.
- V-CAS™ catheter advancement system allows advancement and retraction of the magnetic catheter as well as robotic manipulation of catheter introducer sheaths that are already in use during the procedure.
- V-CAS Deflect™ catheter advancement system is a more advanced device that includes an integrated robotic deflectable sheath.
- Dr. Georg Noelker of the Herz- und Diabeteszentrum NRW in Bad Oeynhausen, Germany commented on the V-Loop system: "We have adopted Vdrive for navigating the circular mapping catheter for all of our left atrial procedures. Our initial experience with Vdrive has shown that we can reduce our left atrial procedures times by approximately 30%, and can further reduce our fluoroscopy times by an additional 14% over our previous times with magnetic navigation alone."
- Dr. Xu Chen of the Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen commented on the V-CAS system: "The addition of robotic sheath control to a magnetic procedure allows me to efficiently access even challenging areas of the heart chambers and focus on patient therapy instead of catheter control. The Vdrive control was intuitive and did not take long to implement as a part of my procedure. In difficult cases the Vdrive control even reduced my total procedure time."
- Dr. Petr Neuzil of Homolce Hospital in Prague shared his perspective on the V-CAS Deflect system: "The advancements in the Vdrive technology use the best of previous magnetic and robotic systems to provide a new level of catheter control, which is expected to improve outcomes in ablation procedures."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV