NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of these three energy companies reached 52-week highs on Wednesday: MarkWest Energy Partners (MWE), Western Gas Partners (WES) and Plains Exploration & Production (PXP).
MarkWest Energy Partners
The natural gas company raised its fourth-quarter dividend 11 cents to 76 cents a share last month.
"MarkWest is well positioned to benefit from many of the long-term trends in natural gas development via its footprint in growing shale plays in the Woodford, Marcellus and east Texas," Wells Fargo analysts wrote in a Feb. 3 report. "We believe MWE's valuation does not fully reflect (1) its secure distribution, (2) solid liquidity position, and (3) long-term distribution growth potential. About 90% of MWE's distribution is tax-deferred."Shares of MarkWest hit a 52-week high of $59.14 on Wednesday. The stock's 52-week low of $39 was set on Aug. 8. MarkWest has an estimated forward price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 21.04X; the average for pipeline companies is 57.34X. For comparison, Kinder Morgan Energy (KMP) has a forward P/E of 33.37X and Oneok's (OKE) is 19.83X. All nine of the analysts who cover the company rated it a buy. TheStreet Ratings gives MarkWest an A+ grade with a buy rating and has a $76.24 price target on the shares. The stock has risen 7.28% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV