Why China-Bashing Is Not a Good Strategy
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- China-bashing is back with a vengeance. American politicians know that voters love this type of tough talk. They also love a bogeyman that can be fingered for the nation's economic ills. Red China, the last bastion of the evil communists is a perfect Darth Vader-like replacement for America's former arch nemesis, the Soviet Union. There it lurks manipulating its currency, stealing intellectual property, aiding U.S. enemies, abusing human rights and causing America's trade deficit. So what if this takes China out of context, most Americans don't know that.
The Chinese have made it clear that they don't like the rhetoric, except when it can be repurposed into rhetoric on the dangers of democracy and individual freedoms. For example, America as a greedy soon to be ex-economic superpower suffering from capitalism gone wild, being led by a failed democratic system that prioritizes opposing points of view over national progress. Add to this a warmongering nation obsessed with military power following in the footsteps that felled the Soviet Union. So what if it takes America out of context, most Chinese don't know that.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV