While most of the other names on this list have made their money by courting institutional and other professional investors, Bankrate's business is centered on consumer personal finance. By matching up consumers with mortgages, insurance, and around 300 other financial products in a transparent way, the company is able to keep both its customers and financial firms happy. That's clear from the firm's financials: the firm saw relatively stable growth throughout the recession, minus a slight sales contraction in 2009.
With short-sellers counting on a material misstep in Bankrate's performance, they may be sorely disappointed. The fact remains that consumers are becoming more and more discerning about their financial products, and Bankrate's services are still one of the most popular tools to evaluate them on an even playing field.Once this stock gets more operating history under its belt, shorts should start to shake out. I also featured Bankrate, which shows up on a list of 4 Tech Stocks for 2012, in " 5 Tech Sector Stocks Funds Love."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV