BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- In the financial industry, you're only as good as your data. Without the right databases, charts and research reports, investors are left flying blind -- so it's no surprise that the financial data industry is big business these days.
There are major advantages in data too. Unlike other financial stocks, financial data firms don't have exposure to lending risks or hefty capital needs, and they tend to have high switching costs built right into their products. That hasn't meant that the investment outlook has been worry-free for financial data providers, however; this week we're looking at five heavily shorted financial data stocks that could get squeezed in 2012.
In case you're not familiar with the term, a short squeeze is the buying frenzy that ensues when a heavily shorted stock starts to look attractive again to investors, causing share price to skyrocket. One of the best indicators of just how high a short-squeezed stock could go is the short-interest ratio, which estimates the number of days it would take for short-sellers to cover their positions. The higher the short ratio, the higher the potential profits when the shorts get squeezed.Roberto Pedone also highlighted several short-squeeze opportunities today in " 5 Earnings Stocks Poised to Pop." Naturally, these plays aren't without their blemishes -- there's a reason that these stocks are being heavily shorted. But for investors looking for exposure to a speculative play with a beefier risk/reward tradeoff, these could be powerful upside plays for the coming year. Without further ado, here's a look at our list of financial data short-squeeze opportunities for 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV