The China Securities Journal said that China's big four banks made 320 billion yuan in new loans in January and that the entire banking industry made 800 billion new loans. The People's Bank of China has yet to make a big move to loosen monetary policy, but Frank Holmes, a big gold bull, says "there is no need for anything else."
M2 supply in the country, cash in circulation plus savings, checking and any travelers checks, grew 13.6% at the end of 2011 to 85.16 trillion yuan and as today's data shows that number is increasing. Markets now await China's recent read on inflation, which will be released Thursday. Prices are currently up 4.1%. A high number means the country might be reluctant to pump a lot more money into the system but could trigger more gold buying as a store of wealth. A light reading could give the central bank room to ease monetary policy, but any deflation worries could crimp demand for gold.
Holmes thinks the gold price could more than double to $3,600 an ounce in 5 years. "People get so caught up with the next 3 minutes for gold and they should really be focused on the next 3 years," he says. "Does anyone really believe in the long term strength of the U.S. dollar?"
Holmes points to the fact that there is $18 trillion of debt rolling over this year in the U.S., Japan and Europe alone. "One looks at that magnitude then the Fed has to show leadership," as in keeping monetary policy accommodative to help the government.Gold mining stocks were struggling Wednesday. Barrick Gold (ABX) was down slightly at $49.07 while Newmont Mining (NEM) was 0.44% lower at $60.59. Other gold stocks, Goldcorp (GG) and Yamana Gold (AUY) were trading lower at $47.08 and $16.63, respectively. .
--Written by Alix Steel in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alix Steel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV