Gold for April delivery closed down $17.10 at $1,731.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price has traded as high as $1,754.80 and as low as $1,729.10 an ounce while the spot price was shedding $14.80, according to Kitco's gold index.
However, "the near-term outlook for gold looks positive," says James Steel, analyst at HSBC. Indeed, tonnage in the SPDR Gold Shares (GLD) remained constant at $1,277 tons, despite gold's two day 2% decline. Gold is also finding some support as Federal Reserve chairman, Ben Bernanke, reaffirmed his commitment, to what many interpret, as a weak dollar policy by keeping rates low until the end of 2014 despite improving economic data. Bespoke put out a note Wednesday saying that the U.S. dollar index was in danger of breaking below key technical levels "and is in danger of breaking its six month uptrend." A substantial dollar pullback could add support to gold as the two mostly move inversely to each other. David Banister, chief investment strategist at TheMarketTrendForecast.com, thinks that gold is entering the last and final stage of its bull market. "I believe that it is a 13 year cycle and we are in the fifth and final wave pattern up," he says, which could last for 12-18 months. The moderating of physical demand from China and India he says is also an indication of the end of the bull market. China imported only 38 tons of gold in December down 62% from November and slowing growth there would further effect jewelry consumption.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV