Shares of TCF Financial (TCB) of Wayzata, Minn., closed at $10.78 Wednesday, returning 5% year-to-date. Based on a five-cent quarterly payout, the shares have a dividend yield of 1.86%.
O'Connor's price target for TCF Financial is $12.00, and he expects the company to earn 83 cents a share in 2012, followed by EPS of $1.39 in 2013.The analyst expects TCF's net interest margin to improve, as the company has $115 million in trust-preferred shares outstanding "that are likely to be called in 2012 (adding 10bps to NIM)," and points out that the company has "$4.4b of long-term borrowing" at an "average rate of 4.3% (vs. 2.5-3.0% for peers)." A improved funding mix, along with "the recent acquisition of Gateway and the BRP deal should add $1.3b (or 10%) of higher margin loans in 2012," according to O'Connor, leading to "solid net interest income growth in 2012/2013." O'Connor says that TCF "has made a number of strategic changes in the past 1-2 years as it tries to reduce reliance on home equity, overdraft and debit card revenues," but that "at some point, a sale of the company can't be ruled out if either of these drags proves to be more difficult than expected to offset." Interested in more on TCF Financial? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Interested in more on TCF Financial? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV