This Day On The Street
Continue to site right-arrow
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
TheStreet Open House

Atmos Energy CEO Discusses F1Q12 Results -Earnings Call Transcript

Stocks in this article: ATO

As we review these financial results and discuss future expectations; please keep in mind that some of our discussion might contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Securities Act and the Securities Exchange Act. Any forward-looking statements are intended to fall within the Safe Harbor rules of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.

And now, I would like to turn the call over to Kim Cocklin. Kim.

Kim Cocklin

Thank you, Susan. Good morning, everybody, and we certainly appreciate you joining us, and your interest in Atmos Energy. Before we begin, I’d like to extend my congratulations to all the Giants fans on the phone, and condolences to the Patriots and the Cowboy fans.

Yesterday, we did report first quarter consolidated net income of $69 million or $0.75 per diluted share compared to $74 million or $0.81 per share one year ago. When you exclude the unrealized gains in both periods, net income was $56 million or $0.61 per share this quarter compared to 74 million or $0.81 last year.

Regulated operations contributed 93% of our net income and non-regulated operations contributed the remaining 7%.

Regulated earnings were in line with our first quarter expectations of fiscal ’12. Abundant natural gas supply across the nation has created a low gas price environment, which is extremely good for utility customers. However, our non-regulated operations are adversely impacted by such a low price and low volatility and did not contribute as expected.

Our liquidity and financial position remain very strong. Our debt capitalization ratio is 53.4% at December 31, compared with 51.4% one year ago. Short-term debt this quarter increased to $390 million compared to $248 million in last year’s quarter, primarily to fund natural gas purchases in our non-regulated segment and increase capital spending.

During the quarter we purchased about 388,000 shares under our current share repurchase program at an average price of $32.31 per share.

2 of 3

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
Try it NOW

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Dividend Stock Advisor

Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
To begin commenting right away, you can log in below using your Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, OpenID or Yahoo login credentials. Alternatively, you can post a comment as a "guest" just by entering an email address. Your use of the commenting tool is subject to multiple terms of service/use and privacy policies - see here for more details.
Submit an article to us!

Markets

DOW 17,387.21 -291.49 -1.65%
S&P 500 2,029.55 -27.54 -1.34%
NASDAQ 4,681.4970 -90.2660 -1.89%

Partners Compare Online Brokers

Free Reports

Free Newsletters from TheStreet

My Subscriptions:

After the Bell

Before the Bell

Booyah! Newsletter

Midday Bell

TheStreet Top 10 Stories

Winners & Losers

Register for Newsletters
Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs