The bailed- out insurer, due to report later this month, is likely to have earned $1.1 billion in operating profits in the last quarter of 2011, compared with a $2.2 billion loss a year earlier, according to FactSet.
The significant turnaround might make AIG the biggest fourth-quarter earnings growth driver for S&P 500, along with
(AAPL), according to an
Shares of AIG were, ironically, among the worst performers on the S&P 500 in 2011, declining 52%. In the early weeks of 2012, shares have rebounded by about 15% to $26.70.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV