(Adds that shares of several big money market fund managers slipped Tuesday on the report of the SEC's proposed industry changes.)
BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The Securities and Exchange Commission is floating several ideas about how to protect money market fund investors in the event of a financial panic. What has been proposed so far has the $2.7 trillion money market fund industry in a lather.
The SEC's proposals, still in the early stages, are seen hurting fund investor returns and likely precipitating big withdrawals, say fund industry representatives.
And they add that regulatory changes made in 2010 have proven enough to protect investors making more rules unnecessary.Money-market funds, which invest in short-term debt instruments and pay higher rates than traditional savings accounts, aren't guaranteed by the government, and so investors could potentially lose capital in the event of a run on such funds. The proposed changes, part of a two-part plan expected to be made public within a few weeks, come three years after the collapse of Lehman Brothers. That event precipitated a run on one of the firm's money market funds and that spread, resuting in mass redemptions of other firms' money markets by panicked investors. The government had to step in and back-stop funds that had fallen below their traditional benchmark, the $1 net asset value, in order to ease investor fears. So now the SEC apparently wants to add further protections for investors by raising the capital that funds are required to hold, among other proposals. Perhaps most controversially, at least from an investor's standpoint, one proposal would limit investors who want to redeem all of their holdings immediately, as they can now, to 95% of their balance, with the remaining 5% to be returned to them after 30 days, according to a story in Tuesday's Wall Street Journal. The other proposals come down on the fund company side, but would likely result in higher fees for investors, which means lower returns for them. Under one proposal, fund companies would be required to boost their capital base in their funds either by putting more of their own money into them, or by issuing stock or debt to increase the fund's capital, or by collecting more money from shareholders.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV