The bank's shares are about three to four years away from $30, according to the veteran analyst.
"I think there's $3 in earnings power there and this stock can easily sell at 10 times earnings, once you recognize that the company is two companies: its Countrywide and its Bank of America and once you get Countrywide taken out of Bank of America, which is the lawsuits are paid, the bad loans are paid the foreclosures are done, all of a sudden Bank of America is there and Bank of America can earn three bucks," Bove said in an interview on Tuesday.
The latest positive sign Bove sees from the bank is a rally in its bonds."The value of its debt is soaring at the present moment. In the third quarter of 2011, the company was being attacked on the basis that it could be run out of business similar to a Lehman Brothers or a Bear Stearns, and the value of its debt fell dramatically," Bove recalls. Since then, however, the debt has rebounded, enabling Bank of America to issue debt last week that yielded just 3% more than 10-year Treasuries, where comparable debt from JPMorgan Chase (JPM) sold at 2.7% above Treasuries only a week prior to that, Bove says, pointing to the turnaround as a tremendous vote of confidence from the bond market in Bank of America's ability to pay its debts. To Bove's credit, he began recommending investors buy the bonds at those low levels of last year, and he believes that confidence will eventually translate to a rise in the stock far greater than the 42.18% it has gained year to date. "I don't consider that anything given
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV