NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If you're hungry for more yield, why settle for only a quarterly dividend payment? Investors would be wise to consider investing in stocks and funds that offer monthly dividends.
Most stocks paying monthly dividends are tied to the oil and gas industry or are part of a closed-end fund that invests in debt securities. They can also be linked to real estate investment trusts, or REITs. These monthly payments are generated from corporate profits or the interest payments on the underlying bonds.
Such an investment can be a good option for income-seeking investors because not only do you receive the payment more often, there is usually less volatility related to these stocks versus quarterly-paying dividend stocks.
The most attractive feature of the monthly dividend stock, though, is the faster compounding of the payment.Monthly dividend payments have been used to help supplement income during retirement, but also to help offset high-risk investments. Regardless, dividend-paying stocks can really help boost your portfolio. Yields on many of these stocks are at least 8%, more than four times better than what the 10-year U.S. Treasury is currently offering. There are hundreds of monthly dividend-paying stocks out there, so we had to narrow the field. The stocks highlighted below are all U.S.-based, have market values of at least $500 million and aren't involved in the real-estate market.
5. Fifth Street Finance Corp. (FSC) Company Description: Fifth Street Finance offers financing and invests in small to medium-sized businesses in connection with investments by private-equity sponsors. Dividend Yield: 11.2% Loan demand rebounded recently and credit markets have eased a bit since the fall, indicating that Fifth Street will be more active in financing and investing in businesses. This year is also set to be a solid year for M&A, especially given the amount of cash private-equity companies have on hand. This should also benefit the company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV