The Financial Services cost and expenses increased by $12.6 million over the fourth quarter of 2010. Again, that includes the operating cost of ALPS and other businesses acquired during 2011. We also continue to incur business development and start-up costs for insurance, brokerage and retirement. Deferred comp costs increased by $1,400,000, that represented the investment appreciation. There is further offsetting costs, where lower employee healthcare and retirement benefits of the $4.2 million that we referred to before. Depreciation and amortization increased by $1 million. And we had increased intangible asset amortization of $2.4 million, and that was from the 2011 acquisitions. This amount, however, was partially offset by certain DST Health Solutions' intangible assets that became fully amortized. Overall then as a result, Financial Services income from operations decreased by $10.2 million or 13.9%.
Turning to the business development and start-up costs for insurance, brokerage and retirement. They were $7.4 million during the quarter or an equivalent of $0.10 per share. We expect in 2012, business development and start-up expenses for those business lines, brokerage, insurance and retirement to be between $0.60 and $0.65 of after-tax expense per diluted share. Expenses are currently in place, so that's kind of a run rate. And we anticipate they'll approximate $0.15 to $0.16 per quarter throughout the year of 2012.
During the quarter, our registered mutual fund accounts declined by $1,700,000. Conversions to non-DST subaccounting platforms totaled $2.2 million. We experienced an organic decline of 100,000 registered accounts and conversions to non-DST platforms of 100,000. However, these decreases were offset by new conversions of 700,000 registered accounts, bringing you back to the net of $1.7 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV