Diageo (DEO) is a good example of a stock that doesn't report in euros (DEO is based in London), but is highly impacted by the eurozone markets. Because this alcoholic beverage stock generates more than a quarter of its net sales from the eurozone, it makes sense to pay attention to this name this week.
The pattern in play in Diageo is an uptrending channel. As the name suggests, an uptrending channel is a setup where a stock's trading has been bounded by dynamic support and resistance levels in an uptrend. The fact that the channel so tightly corrals DEO's price action makes the trading implications predictable for February. In this stock, traders should be waiting for a bounce off of resistance as an opportunity to build a long position in Diageo. Dual resistance lines mean that there's ample supply of shares not too far overhead.
It's also critical to wait for an actual bounce off of support before buying; support levels do eventually fail, so traders need to wait for confirmation that trendline support is going to hold up before putting cash on the line.Diageo is one of the top-yielding food and beverage stocks. To see these plays in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV