Koninklijke Philips Electronics
Koninklijke Philips Electronics (PHG) is another Dutch firm that's forming an actionable technical setup this week. In fact, this stock is another example of a triangle -- just one of a different variety. Shares of this consumer electronics maker are forming a symmetrical triangle (sometimes also called a coil), a price setup that's formed by two converging trendlines.
In the technical lexicon, symmetrical triangles are a lot like the popular pennant pattern; the key difference is timeframe. While a pennant may form over days or weeks, symmetrical triangles form over weeks or months. In Philips' case, the triangle we're watching has been forming since all the way back in late October.
Often, these patterns are thought of as continuation patterns - that is, patterns that give a stock a chance to consolidate before continuing a move in its original direction. While that's a decent rule of thumb, it's best to look for a break outside of the triangle in either direction, then take a position in the direction of the breakout.Either way this trade develops, I'd recommend placing a protective stop right at the 50-day moving average in case Philips makes an unexpected move against your trade. Philips is one of the top-yielding consumer durables stocks. For more on dividend stocks, check out "7 Dividend Stocks Paying More Cash in 2012."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV