A very similar setup is taking shape in shares of Unilever (UN), the $94 billion Dutch-domiciled household products group that owns well-known brands such as Dove soap and Lipton tea. Like Statoil, Unilever is forming an ascending triangle setup, in this case with resistance at the $35 level. That's the price to watch.
One way to think about how resistance levels work is that $35 is a price for Unilever where sellers become more eager to sell and take gains than buyers are to buy. When that happens, a glut of potential supply of UN shares forms above $35, and that price becomes a sort of ceiling for shares. A breakout above that level, though, indicates that buyers have finally absorbed all of the excess supply at that level, clearing the way for more upside in shares.
At first glance, one thing that's obvious in Unilever's chart is the abundance of gaps. Those gaps may make the chart look somewhat less well-defined than that of Statoil, but they can be ignored for all intents and purposes. Those gaps, called suspension gaps, occur because Unilever's shares trade off U.S. hours on the London and Amsterdam stock exchanges. From a technical standpoint, they're not significant.Unilever, one of the top-yielding food and beverage stocks, shows up on a list of 5 "Exceptional Buys" for 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV