BioSante Pharmaceuticals (BPAX)
Stock return since Jan. 1: 110%
All you need to know about the bio-bubble can be summed up in BioSante. Libigel, otherwise known as BioSante's attempt at developing a "female Viagra" is a total failure and is never coming back. BioSante partner Teva (TEVA) settled a patent dispute with Abbott (ABT) over Bio-T-Gel, a testosterone gel for male hypogonadism, which means the product isn't likely to launch in the near future even if FDA approves it on Feb. 14. If or when Teva does start selling Bio-T-Gel, royalties that flow back to BioSante are almost immaterial. Jefferies, for instance, models BioSante receiving less than $7 million in Bio-T-Gel royalties in 2015 based on $135 million in overall sales.Libigel's a bust. Bio-T-Gel is irrelevant. That leaves BioSante's pipeline of cancer vaccines, which were picked off the ash heap from Cell Genesys years ago after trials in prostate cancer and lung cancer blew up. Likelihood of BioSante's making a real go in cancer vaccine development: Miniscule. BioSante should shut down and return its cash to shareholders. That this failure of a company is surging this year is proof that a biotech sector sell off is coming. Get ready for it. BioSante shares closed Tuesday down 18% to 86 cents. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 6 Drug Stocks Unworthy of Biotech Bull Market portfolio on Stockpickr. --Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV