The Pantry, Inc. (NASDAQ: PTRY), the leading independently operated convenience store chain in the southeastern U.S., today announced financial results for its fiscal first quarter ended December 29, 2011.
First Quarter Summary:
- Net loss was $2.9 million or $0.13 per share. This compares to a net loss of $12.2 million or $0.54 per share in last year’s first quarter. Excluding the impact of impairment charges and loss on extinguishment of debt, the net loss for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 was $2.6 million or $0.11 per share (see reconciliation below).
- Adjusted EBITDA was $43.8 million, compared to $32.1 million a year ago.
- Comparable store merchandise revenue increased 2.0%.
- Merchandise gross margin was 33.2%, compared to 33.5% a year ago.
- Fuel gross profit was $55.9 million, compared to $50.7 million a year ago.
- Long-term debt was reduced by $44.1 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2012. Additionally, $33.9 million of the 3% convertible notes were repurchased in the second quarter of fiscal 2012 bringing the year-to-date total reduction to $78.0 million.
Interim Chief Executive Officer Edwin J. Holman said, “We delivered $43.8 million of Adjusted EBITDA in the first quarter of fiscal 2012, an $11.7 million increase compared to the prior year, primarily due to a more favorable fuel pricing environment and lower expenses. As we continue revising our pricing strategy to position the Company for the longer term, we remain focused on improving our sales trends, expense management, and debt reduction.”
Comparable store merchandise sales in the first quarter increased 2.0% in total and 4.4% excluding cigarettes. Total merchandise gross profit for the quarter was $142.2 million, an increase of 1.2% from the first quarter a year ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV