NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Just because the economy is growing does not mean investors should abandon high-paying dividend stocks in favor of growth names, says Oliver Pursche, co-portfolio manager of GMG Defensive Beta Fund (MPDAX).
"No one is saying you shouldn't own growth stocks. The point is that dividends are a key component of total return, so investing in high-quality, high dividend paying stocks that also have growth characteristics should do very well in 2012, just like it did in 2011," says Pursche.
The $20 million fund, which launched in August 2009, has dropped 3.4% over the past 12 months, ranking it in the 66th percentile of Morningstar's (MORN) multi-alternative investment category.Pursche specifically points to McDonald's (MCD) as a company that fits his growth plus dividend criteria, as the fast-food purveyor continues to expand internationally without skimping on its dividend, now yielding 2.8%. The company's stock is up more than 35% in the past year, compared with domestically oriented Wendy's (WEN), for example, which is up only 2% and yields 1.5%. And Pursche sees more room for Mickey D's to grow in 2012 even with a slowing Europe. "They are ramping up revenues, store sales and everything else a growth business needs to accelerate. So it's a great example of a company that's exhibiting all of the qualities of a great growth stocks but has high yields and a strong balance sheet to support it," says Pursche. Another Dow stock that is one of Pursche's prime picks is chipmaker Intel (INTC), which soared 24% over the past year and is now yielding 3.3%. Not bad compared to competitors AMD (AMD) and Texas Instruments (TXN), which have fallen 38% and 8% over the same period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV