Will More Jobs Mean More Taxes?
By John CarneySenior Editor, CNBC.com
January saw 247,000 new jobs added to the economy. Unemployment fell to 8.3 percent.
The stronger numbers may make federal lawmakers reluctant to extend the payroll tax cut. A Capitol Hill agreement late last year extended the tax cut through the end of February. If not extended, the tax cut will expire on Feb. 29.
More from CNBC
Unemployment Rate Drops to 8.3%
Jobs Up, but Small Business Survey Reports Little Gain
A Chaotic Start to the Week for Greece
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV