NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Bank stocks are no longer "fundamentally undervalued" and will need to deliver on earnings in order to outperform in 2012, according to KBW analysts.
Financial stocks have rallied in the first few weeks of 2012, prompting questions about whether this year could be the "year of outperformance" for the sector. Financials have not outperformed the S&P 500 in five years.
Still, in a research note Sunday, the analysts note that financial stocks overall do not look particularly cheap on a 2012 forward earnings basis when compared to the S&P 500, although they still trade relatively cheaper on a price-to-book basis.
"Reviewing the historical trends in relative market cap, employment and valuation, there is no reason to believe, in our opinion, that financials are fundamentally undervalued and can continue to outperform the S&P without expanded earnings capacity," analysts led by Fred Cannon wrote in a note.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV