Electronic instruments maker Ametek (AME), one of TheStreet Ratings' top-rated electrical equipment stocks, has its hand in everything from temperature sensors to specialty motors used by original equipment manufacturers. That niche business affords AME a sticky customer base with a high switching cost, two critical factors for success in the manufacturing sector last year.
Now, with many competitors shaken out of the market, Ametek is primed to succeed in the years ahead.Ametek has traditionally gone after a growth-though-acquisition approach to increasing its scale, a model that's proven especially effective in increasing revenues without creating extra distractions for management. Because new units are able to operate (and be evaluated) independently, the firm has extra top line diversification. Significant international exposure has added even more. With much of that coming from the emerging markets right now, AME looks well positioned to benefit from secular tailwinds abroad even if a strong dollar has been a detractor in the short-term. In spite of an acquisition-hungry model, the firm's balance sheet looks strong, a fact that can be attributed to consistent double-digit net margins. Even though Ametek may not operate in the most exciting business, investors shouldn't eschew the excitement in the firm's growth potential. To see all of this week's Rocket Stocks in action, check out the Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV