First up this week is computer giant Dell (DELL), a stock that's been taking full advantage of bullishness in the broad market in 2012. Year-to-date, shares of the $32 billion computer manufacturer have rallied more than 20%, besting the broad market by a big margin.
But Dell can't rest on its laurels if shareholders want that performance to keep pace for the rest of the year.It wasn't long ago that Dell drew comparisons with Apple (AAPL), handily beating out the iPhone maker in the computer business. But while Apple transformed its business completely, Dell remains entrenched in the computer business, an industry that's become heavily commoditized and saturated. Even though Dell enjoys a commendable share of the market, this firm doesn't own a defensible economic moat anymore. Management has been working to change that lately. The company has refocused on the enterprise IT hardware and services market, a business that's ballooned to more than a quarter of Dell's total revenues. If Dell can prove to big-spending enterprise customers that it has best-in-breed solutions, the firm should be able to fuel margin growth and carve out a more defensible position. With analyst sentiment ticking higher in shares, we're betting on Dell ahead of the firm's Feb. 21 earnings call. Dell, one of TheStreet Ratings' top-rated hardware stocks, shows up on a recent list of 9 Stocks Giving Mutual Funds a Breakout Year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV