BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- Drama in the eurozone is rearing its ugly head again this morning as Greek debt talks turn tumultuous again this week. Throughout the nearly 7% rally stocks have enjoyed so far in 2012, the eurozone has been the black cloud lingering overhead. Now it's starting to drizzle.
At this point, sentiment remains strong at home (thanks in large part to strong earnings and positive economic numbers) -- so it would take a more serious slip-up across the pond to change the upward trajectory for stocks this year. Even so, it wouldn't be the first time Europe's debt problems have derailed stocks here at home. While Greek debt dealings are only providing a hiccup for U.S. equity markets this morning, investors should still be well aware of developments going on in the EU.
Meanwhile, we're coming off the heels of a particularly strong week for stocks. All told, the S&P 500 Index rallied 2.17% last week, buoyed by excitement over the lowest unemployment numbers in two full years. As good as Mr. Market's performance was, we fared a bit better with out weekly list of Rocket Stock names, outperforming the market by 61 basis points for the week.This week, we'll try to do it again. For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 138 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 83.61%. With that, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV