This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Could Verizon & Redbox Knock Netflix?

NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Netflix (NFLX - Get Report) now faces a dangerous new foe, say experts, as Coinstar's (CSTR) Redbox and Verizon (VZ - Get Report) join forces to tap the video entertainment market.

The Verizon and Redbox joint venture lets consumers across the U.S. watch various content whenever they want on whatever device they choose. There will be more details in the coming months, according to a statement released by the companies.

The partnership combines Redbox's new-release DVD and Blu-ray Disc rentals with a video on-demand streaming and download service from Verizon.

Sterne Agee analyst Brad Cook believes this could hurt Netflix, as Verizon has more infrastructure and deeper pockets than the video-rental and streaming company. "I think they could definitely take away market share from Netflix," he said.

Cook also sees the Verizon streaming deal as a positive for Coinstar investors, particularly with the DVD rental business is in a secular decline. "There's a lot of cash flow that could come out of this," he explained.

"I think it's a great value proposition for the customer. It's too expensive for Coinstar to go at it alone. They have access to new releases, which is beneficial, due to the rights being so expensive. As a Coinstar shareholder, you don't want to see them get into a contest buying streaming rights," said one hedge fund analyst, who declined to be named. The analyst is long shares of Coinstar.

According to the 8-K filing, Coinstar has to put up its pro-rata share of the first $450 million of capital contributions to the joint venture.

Verizon owns 65% of the joint venture, while Redbox owns the remaining 35%.

Coinstar CEO Paul Davis believes the joint venture will allow Coinstar and Verizon to give consumers what they want, whether it be physical or digital content. "This alliance is the result of a deliberate and strategic process to identify a partner who shares our commitment to delivering innovative solutions to consumers. We look forward to rolling out the shared benefits this venture will bring to consumers, retailers, and shareholders," Davis said in the statement.
1 of 2

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
NFLX $87.40 1.22%
VZ $50.11 1.46%
AAPL $93.99 0.31%
FB $102.01 0.10%
GOOG $682.40 -0.10%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 15,973.84 +313.66 2.00%
S&P 500 1,864.78 +35.70 1.95%
NASDAQ 4,337.5120 +70.6750 1.66%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs