MetLife has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 7.41. The average for life insurance companies is 13.05. Aflac (AFL) and Assurant (AIZ) also have low forward P/Es of 7.03 and 6.79, respectively.
Of the 23 analysts who cover MetLife, 18 consider it a buy; five rate it a hold.
Shares of MetLife hit a 52-week high a year ago of $48.72. The stock's 52-week low of $25.61 was set on Oct. 4. The stock has risen 20.69% year to date to $37.63, its closing price on Friday.TheStreet Ratings gives MetLife a B- grade with a $42.02 price target. "We first wrote about the disconnect between share prices and CDS spreads in September (Disconnect between MET/PRU valuations & CDS a bullish sign, 08 September 2011) and we believe that the trading opportunity remains in place today," Bank of America Merrill Lynch analysts wrote in a Jan. 30 report. "Since the beginning of the financial crisis, CDS spreads have explained between 50%-60% of life insurance P/BV multiples. We believe that this relationship should be much less significant over the long term. However, even in the current, CDS-driven environment (i.e., excessive concern about tail risk), implied valuations based on CDS suggest that LNC should be at least 30% higher today and MET should be 20% higher."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV