As part of its ongoing efforts to help elevate the coffee industry in China’s Yunnan Province, Starbucks Coffee Company (NASDAQ: SBUX) announced that it has signed an agreement to form a joint-venture company with Ai Ni Group, one of the province’s most established coffee operators and agricultural companies in Yunnan. The joint-venture company, which will be controlled by Starbucks, will purchase and export high-quality arabica Yunnan coffee beans, as well as operate dry mills in the province.
John Culver, president, Starbucks China and Asia Pacific, and Liu Minghui, Founder and Chairman, Ai Ni Group, each representing their respective companies, attended the signing ceremony today in Kunming, Yunnan’s provincial capital. Vice Governor Gu Zhaoxi, Yunnan Provincial Government, witnessed the ceremony.
“With its uniquely suitable climatic and soil conditions, Yunnan is one of the best regions in the world to grow coffee. With Starbucks leading coffee expertise, local market knowledge of our own Chinese enterprises, like Ai Ni Group, and the significant investments made by the provincial government, the full potential of Yunnan’s coffee industry will be gradually realized,” said Vice Governor Gu Zhaoxi.
“The formation of our joint-venture company with Ai Ni Group marks another significant milestone in Starbucks continued efforts to help develop Yunnan’s coffee industry,” said John Culver, president, Starbucks China and Asia Pacific. “The Starbucks China growth story is also about giving back to the local community. Through the Starbucks Yunnan Coffee Project and together with our partner Ai Ni Group, we are committed to help local farmers elevate the quality of the coffee in the region while bringing the best of Yunnan coffee to the rest of China and the world.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV