5 Top Cities for Real Estate Investors in 2012
Fifth-best market: Wichita, Kan.
Projected 2012 price gains: 4.1%
Booming crop prices are boosting housing prices and rents in the Sunflower State's largest city.
"Wichita is seeing things improve mainly because of high prices paid for crops, which means there are more folks to buy homes," Colpitts says.
The city also hosts so many aviation companies that it's known as "The World's Air Capital."Cessna, Hawker Beechcraft, Bombardier Learjet, Spirit AeroSystems (SPR) and other airplane and aviation-parts makers all have major operations in Wichita. (Boeing (BA) also has a plant in 630,000-population metro area, but recently announced plans to close the site next year.) Wichita also hosts two well-known privately held companies: camping-equipment maker Coleman and diversified conglomerate Koch Industries. Additionally, the city is home to three large schools -- the University of Wichita, Friends University and Newman University.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV