This parabolic ascension is attractive for those who decided to get in early. While enticing, I would encourage investors lacking exposure to funds like IBB and the SPDR S&P Biotech ETF (XBI) to avoid chasing gains here.
Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX)
Gold miners spent much of the past week heading higher. Any gains, however, were dashed on Friday as the fund succumbed to its 200-day moving average. Looking to the days ahead, it will be interesting to see if this level will be tested once again.
Despite the metal's designation as a safe haven, gold-related funds like GDX and iShares Gold Trust (IAU) have staged impressive rallies during the opening weeks of the year, following the broader market higher. Investors and market followers are questioning whether gold miners, after a disappointing showing in 2011, can find some footing in the months ahead.Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV