(Adds that McDonald's gained a record-low rate on a 30-year corporate bond offering.)
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Do you want to own stocks with consistent long-term returns so you can "buy 'em and forget 'em," as some professional investors say?
Then stop chasing the latest skyrocket and adopt the more conservative, but nonetheless fruitful, double-barreled approach, that of buying stocks of high-quality companies with a record of steadily increasing dividends and multiyear, double-digit share-price gains.
There aren't a lot that fit the bill.We found six stocks of highly respected companies with at least double-digit annual share-price advances over three years, coupled with better than 26% five-year dividend-growth rates. The benchmark S&P 500 is up 5.6% this year and several of these companies' stocks are not keeping up, but they shouldn't be judged by one month's -- or even one year's -- share-price performance. Rather, their long-term records, which include corporate histories with no serious management miscues, should hold them in good stead, especially when the compounding of growing dividends is coupled with the share-price increases. Some of these stocks are household names, such as International Business Machines (IBM) and McDonald's (MCD). But trucking industry broker Landstar Systems (LSTR), and artificial knee and hip joint maker Stryker (SYK) aren't widely known. Here are the six stocks with five-year dividend growth of at least 26% and double-digit share-price appreciation over the past three years:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV