Tax Tip: Document Your Special Tax Situations
By Robert Flach
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- There's a lot more to tax filing than totaling your wages and taxes paid, so if any of the following situations apply, make sure you provide your tax preparer with the necessary documentation.
You sold shares of stock or a mutual fund. Make sure you know the original cost and date of purchase of the shares that you sold. The information may be on your year-end statement you get from your broker. If you bought shares via dividend reinvestment, you'll need to know the amount of dividends that were reinvested each year. If you originally inherited the shares that you sold last year, know the number of shares inherited and the date of death of the person from whom they were inherited.
|Make sure you have all the required information for your deductible financial situations.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV