Unemployment Numbers Just Not Good Enough
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The economy added 243,000 jobs in January, and unemployment fell to 8.3%. Going forward unemployment is not likely to fall much further and could rise again.
Fourth-quarter growth was stronger as the global economy recovered from first half disruptions such as the earthquake in Japan, but going forward economists expect growth to slow to about 2%.
Job growth in the range of 130,000 should be expected to barely accommodate labor force growth but not much lower the unemployment rate. That is hardly a pace that will restore economic health, or validate President Obama's heavy intervention in the economy and industrial policies in the upcoming presidential campaign.Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. The unemployment rate would be higher but for the fact that many adults have quit looking for work altogether, and the adult labor force participation rate remains depressed. In January, working age adults not participating in the labor force -- those neither employed nor looking for work -- increased by 88,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV