Retirement in an Era of Long Life
The problem with the dismal failure to prepare well for retirement isn't due to lack of discipline or character. The problem is that we are living our lives according to a model that was built for short lives, not long ones. We have an unprecedented opportunity to rethink work and retirement altogether.
With a little imagination, we can develop healthy models of work where we work many more years but enjoy shorter work weeks and longer vacations. We can institutionalize sabbaticals and retraining and we can modify stalwart institutions, like Social Security, so that they more flexibly provide the support Americans' need in ways that improve quality of life at all ages. It's this sort of retirement discussion that is long overdue.
Laura L. Carstensen is Professor of Psychology and Director of the Center on Longevity at Stanford University. She is author of A Long Bright Future: Happiness, Health and Financial Security in an Age of Increased Longevity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV