The January CBIZ Small Business Employment Index (SBEI), a barometer for hiring trends among companies with 300 or fewer employees, decreased by 2.75 percent during the past month, following an increase of 1.75 percent in December.
Today’s announcement follows ADP’s January jobs survey, which illustrated that the private sector added 170,000 jobs in January.
Philip Noftsinger, business unit president for CBIZ Payroll Services, explained, “January’s numbers express a decline in overall employment from December levels. Our SBEI is not seasonally adjusted; therefore our numbers for January are consistent with January 2011, which showed a decline of 2.62 percent versus 2.75 percent for January 2012.”
Additional take-away points from the January data include:
- At-a-glance: Of the companies surveyed, the data shows that 34 percent reported a decrease in employee headcount while 18 percent increased staffing. 48 percent of the companies involved in the survey maintained their number of employees.
- Small business sector: A decline in hiring after the holiday season is to be expected as normal seasonal activity. Many business owners are still reluctant to bring on new employees due to continued uncertainty surrounding the economy.
- What-to-watch: We need to continue to see positive macro data to support the ongoing trend of mild job growth that we experienced in the fourth quarter of 2011. Prolonged job creation will ultimately depend on employer confidence and consumer spending.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV