- At-a-glance: Of the companies surveyed, the data shows that 34 percent reported a decrease in employee headcount while 18 percent increased staffing. 48 percent of the companies involved in the survey maintained their number of employees.
- Small business sector: A decline in hiring after the holiday season is to be expected as normal seasonal activity. Many business owners are still reluctant to bring on new employees due to continued uncertainty surrounding the economy.
- What-to-watch: We need to continue to see positive macro data to support the ongoing trend of mild job growth that we experienced in the fourth quarter of 2011. Prolonged job creation will ultimately depend on employer confidence and consumer spending.
Small Business Employment Slows In January
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.