In the December quarter, the non-GAAP tax rate was 12.7%, and the GAAP tax rate was 7.4% as a result of the nonrecurring tax events discussed earlier. Our tax rate is impacted by the mix of geographical profits, withholding taxes associated with our licensing businesses, gains or losses on trading securities and the percentage of our cash that is invested in tax-advantaged securities. We expect our combined forward-looking effective tax rate on both the GAAP and non-GAAP basis to be about 12.5% to 13%.
To summarize the after-tax impact that the non-GAAP adjustments had on Microchip's earnings per share in the December quarter, share-based compensation was about $0.043, acquisition-related items were about $0.011, noncash interest expense was about $0.006 and the favorable tax event was about $0.02. The dividend declared today of $0.349 per share will be paid on March 6, 2012, to shareholders of record on February 21, 2012. The cash payment associated with this dividend will be approximately $67.1 million.
Moving onto the balance sheet. Microchip's inventory at December 31 was $217.9 million or 137 days, up 5 days from the prior-quarter levels. The total combined inventory held either by Microchip or its distributors was down 6 days on a sequential basis. Inventory at our distributors was 35 days, which is down 11 days from the prior-quarter level. The change that we experienced in distribution inventory levels is that largest one quarter change we have ever experienced.
However, I remind you that our distribution revenues throughout the world is recognized on a sell-through basis. At December 31, Microchip's accounts receivable balance was $149.3 million, an increase of 4.8% from the balance as of the end of December. Receivable balances continue to be in great condition with excellent payment performance from our customers.Read the rest of this transcript for free on seekingalpha.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV