Health care and medial office REIT HCP (HCP) has had a strong year -- while shares are up approximately 11% in the trailing 12 months, that number slingshots to around 15% when the firm's hefty dividend payout is factored in.
And those returns are only getting higher. HCP announced a 4.17% dividend increase last week, bringing its quarterly distribution to a 4.86% yield at current prices.HCP owns a real estate portfolio that's spread throughout five different segments: senior housing, skilled nursing, medial offices, lab space, and hospitals. That diversified tenant base means that leases are less likely to be adversely impacted by a major industry headwind, like healthcare legislation. At the same time, this REIT's financial structure means that it's a strong example of an income-generation instrument rather than a direct play on the real estate market - investors should be fans of that fact. While REITs' legal income distribution requirements often leave them with relatively light capital backstops, HCP is in solid financial shape. That stability should help to secure the firm's large dividend payout, particularly when coupled with its diversified health care positioning.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV