BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- It's earnings season, and dividend hikes are continuing to flow in for investors this quarter.
Dividend announcements and earnings season go hand-in-hand each quarter, as companies make the logical step of going from talking about their profits to whether they'll be using those profits to pay shareholders. Dividend payouts are particularly important in 2012, after a year when owning stocks that pay dividends meant a 53% increase in total investment returns.
This week, a total of 41 companies announced hikes in their cash payouts to shareholders, contributing to an increase in dividends by 19% vs. the quarter one year ago. That's proof positive that companies are deploying their record cash reserve to increase investor returns in 2012. That's a very good thing since ultimately, those dividends can have a huge impact in total investment returns.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV