Quarterly Sales by Segment:
- Net sales for the SMB segment decreased in the quarter by 8.6% to $224.1 million, compared to net sales in the fourth quarter of 2010. Sales of desktops and notebooks related to the PC refresh continued to be strong in the quarter; however, overall sales decreased year over year due to lower sales of tablets and media players, as well as hard drive product constraints, in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Net sales for the Large Account segment increased by 17.3% to $197.0 million compared to sales in the fourth quarter of 2010. This segment includes the operating results for ValCom Technology (“ValCom”), a provider of infrastructure management and onsite managed services to medium-to-large corporations, which we acquired in the first quarter of 2011. Excluding ValCom’s sales for the quarter, Large Account sales would have increased year over year by 10.5% due to strong demand for enterprise solutions.
- Net sales to government and education customers (Public Sector segment) decreased year over year by 2.0% to $115.0 million due primarily to budgetary constraints. Sales to state and local government and educational institutions decreased by 3.5% during the quarter, while sales to the federal government were only nominally lower than the prior year quarter.
- Net sales to consumers and SOHO customers by PC Connection Express were $17.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2011, compared to $24.9 million in the fourth quarter of 2010. Gross profit dollars, however, increased by 7.2% in the quarter as gross margin improvements continued to be the primary focus for this segment.
Quarterly Sales by Product Mix:
- Notebook and PDA sales, the Company’s largest product category, decreased by 2% year over year and accounted for 17% of net sales in the fourth quarter of 2011 compared to 18% of net sales in the fourth quarter of 2010. Pricing pressures resulted in a 6% decrease in average selling prices, or ASPs, as unit sales increased by 5% year over year.
- Desktop/server sales decreased by 7% year over year, accounting for 16% of net sales in the fourth quarter of 2011 compared to 17% of net sales in the fourth quarter of 2010. Desktop sales decreased as a result of a 14% decrease in ASPs, however unit sales increased by 10%. Server sales decreased year over year as a result of a 10% decrease in unit sales, as ASPs were largely unchanged.
- Net/com products sales increased by 17% year over year, accounting for 11% of net sales in the fourth quarter of 2011 compared to 9% of net sales in the fourth quarter of 2011. Net/com sales were strong in both the SMB and Large Account segments with double digit growth from each segment contributing to the overall increase.
- Storage device sales increased by 11% year over year, accounting for 7% of net sales in the fourth quarter of 2011 and 2010. Increased demand for storage solutions and servers from both SMB and Large Account customers led to the growth in this category.
Overall gross profit dollars increased by $5.4 million, or 8.6%, to $68.7 million in the fourth quarter of 2011 compared to the prior year. Consolidated gross margin, as a percentage of net sales, increased to 12.4% in the fourth quarter of 2011 compared to 11.4% in the prior year quarter. Each of the segments generated significant increases in gross margin.