PARK RIDGE, N.J.
, Feb. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The
Corporation (NYSE: HTZ) today announced the expansion of its
fleet in the greater
Metropolitan Area, growing its car sharing program,
Hertz On Demand
in the nation's capital. With a range of cars – from electric vehicles, available at Union Station, and compacts to sedans and SUVs – available both in parking garages, outdoor spaces and in 23 on-street parking spots, the Hertz On Demand fleet in metro
will be one of the largest and most diverse in the District.
"By making vehicles readily available in more locations, Hertz On Demand is making car sharing more convenient and accessible to
residents, visitors and workers," commented
Mark P. Frissora
, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Hertz. "Hertz On Demand is free to join with no annual, membership or late fees. Our member benefits, which far exceed those of our competitors, coupled with our selection of cars really enables members to specifically choose the car they want for the trip they are taking."
Hertz On Demand vehicles will be available in all 8 Wards of the District including Union Station, Adams Morgan, Connecticut Avenue NW, Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Anacostia, H St. NE,
, Dupont Circle, Columbia Heights, Takoma,
, Friendships Heights, Georgetown, and South Capitol Street. As the program expands, additional locations will be opened throughout the city and surrounding suburbs, including
Local residents and visitors can sign up online, and start reserving cars from one of Hertz On Demand's locations to experience the enhanced member benefits offered by the car sharing club, including:
- Free membership. Hertz On Demand has no enrollment fee or annual membership fee, and offers low hourly and daily rates.
- Rental fleet options will include the Nissan Altima, Mercedes C300, Mitsubishi Endeavor, Cadillac CTS, Fiat 500, Chevy Cruze, Chevy Malibu, Mazda 2, Mazda 3 and Jeep Patriot. All-electric and plug-in hybrid cars, including the smart fortwo electric drive and Nissan LEAF, are also available at Union Station as part of the Hertz Global EV program.
- 180 miles a day(1), gas and insurance included in rates.
- Daily rates on Hertz rental car for longer trips; Ability to rent a car for up to 30 days.
- Unparalleled member service including 24/7 live, in-car assistance from a team of Hertz Member Care experts.
- No late fees. Hertz On Demand members will not receive punitive charges/late fees for the late return of a vehicle.(2)
Hertz On Demand provides an economical, convenient and socially conscious alternative to car ownership. The service is a pay-as-you-go system, providing members with 24/7 access to vehicles strategically located throughout their city. It has approximately 120,000 members, is available in six countries and on approximately 60 university campuses. Overall, Hertz On Demand offers its members products and services that are unmatched in the car sharing industry, including:
- The elimination of all membership and renewal fees in the U.S. and Europe
- Guaranteed vehicle availability Monday through Thursday in New York City
- One-way car sharing rentals between 175 locations in the Northeast U.S.
- An expanded car sharing fleet with new vehicles added to the service. The U.S. fleet includes luxury cars, including the Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia; and cars suitable for moving, including the Ford Transit Connect and the Nissan Titan pick-up truck. Additionally, a variety of electric vehicles are available at select locations, including the Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF, and smart fortwo electric drive
- Simplified reservation process. Hertz On Demand has a newly redesigned member website, www.HertzOnDemand.com, with a simplified reservation process, including one way map routing and reservations, enhanced search capabilities, faster page load times and enhanced details about car makes and models
- Unparalleled Member Service. Hertz On Demand's industry leading, proprietary in-car technology provides members a safe and superior car rental experience. Upon enrolling, members receive a smart chip enabled card which gives them keyless entry to any reserved car. In the vehicle, a hands-free audio kit connects members to an in-house Member Care Center representative - available 24/7, 365 days a year - should they have questions, need assistance or need to extend their reservation. Hertz On Demand is able to "communicate" with the vehicle, enabling representatives to unlock, engage and locate vehicles, and cars are equipped with iPod and Bluetooth connectivity, for hands free driving, as well as EZ Pass transponders.
As the only leading global
rent-a-car company to also offer a car club, Hertz is ideally positioned to offer companies tailored solutions which are designed to meet the demands of today's businesses. Businesses can reduce expenses and control costs by converting fixed fleet costs into variable costs by only paying for per trip usage. Shared cars can be used for professional purposes, including trips to nearby offices and off-site business meetings. Additionally, businesses can give employees a money-saving perk by offering Hertz on Demand cars at work, making cars available for personal usage. Hertz on Demand is able to place cars on corporate sites and also offer corporate members the added benefit of classic rent a car services. Businesses, government entities with fleet operations, and even companies operating residential buildings, such as apartment blocks, can all benefit by offering employees and tenants car sharing services. Hertz on Demand also serves businesses and organizations including Marriott International, and BAA Airports Ltd.
For more information, visit
or follow Hertz On Demand on Facebook [
] or Twitter [
About Hertz On Demand
Hertz on Demand, Hertz's global car sharing club, has more than 850 vehicles, 120,000 members and more than 250 locations worldwide, including corporate offices and universities. Hertz on Demand offers a variety of vehicles available for online reservation at competitive rates. All cars are equipped with Eileo® technology, and benefits covered by the hourly rate include gas, insurance, GPS turn-by-turn navigation, 24/7 roadside assistance, 24-hour Member Care Center communication, and 180 free miles per day. For more information, visit
Hertz is the largest worldwide airport general use car rental brand operating from approximately 8,500 locations in approximately 145 countries worldwide. Hertz is the number one airport car rental brand in the U.S. and at 94 major airports in
, operating both corporate and licensee locations in cities and airports in
. The Company also operates the Advantage car rental brand. In addition, Hertz operates one of the world's largest equipment rental businesses, Hertz Equipment Rental Corporation, offering a diverse line of rental equipment, including tools and supplies, and new and used equipment for sale from approximately 320 branches in
the United States
For more information, visit
(1) Per 24 hour period