Patriot Coal (PCX), with its subsidiaries, is a producer of thermal coal in the eastern U.S., with operations and coal reserves in the Appalachia and the Illinois Basin coal regions. This stock is trading up 11.9% to $8.64 in recent trading.
Today's Range: $7.51-$8.7652-Week Range: $6.92-$27.56 Volume: 13.4 million Three-Month Average Volume: 6.6 million Shares of PCX are ripping higher today after the company reported a fourth-quarter loss and idled a West Virginia mine, saying demand was weak and it would leave its highest-quality coal in the ground until conditions improve. From a technical standpoint, PCX are bouncing big today on huge volume off a near-term support level at $7.50. Market players should now look for continued upside if PCX can take out its 50-day moving average of $8.78 on strong volume. It looks like the stock is going to challenge that level today, and volume is very strong. If we get that action, then look for PCX to trigger its next big breakout if the stock can move above $8.93 to $9.59 on strong volume.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV