Updated with market close information and comments on Visa, which is scheduled to report its earnings on Feb. 8.
The payment processor reported fourth-quarter earnings -- excluding "a $495 million after-tax charge related to the U.S. merchant litigations" - of $514 million, or $4.03 a share, blowing past the consensus EPS estimate of $3.92, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.
Heading into Friday's unemployment report, the Labor Department on Thursday announced that Following Tuesday's report from ADP that seasonally adjusted initial jobless claims totaled 367,000 during the week ended Jan. 28, declining from a revised 379,000 the previous week.The broad indexes were mixed. The The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) rose 1% to close at 43.62, with 20 of the 24 index components showing gains for the session. MasterCard reported fourth-quarter net revenue was $1.72 billion, which was slightly behind the consensus estimate of $1.73 billion, but was up over 20% from a year earlier. The company said that "worldwide purchase volume during the quarter was up 15.2% on a local currency basis versus the fourth quarter of 2010, to $648 billion."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV