10 Biggest U.S. IPOs
This story has been updated from its initial publication of Nov. 18, 2010.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Facebook's much-anticipated filing of its S-1 Securities and Exchange Commission registration statement after the market closed Wednesday has gotten the investment world buzzing.
Facebook is looking to raise $5 billion through an initial public offering, but could raise as much as $10 billion if all the overallotment shares are sold, some say. It is expected to price its shares in the spring under the ticker "FB."
The social media giant is being peddled as the largest recent technology IPO. According to a Renaissance Capital IPO index, Zynga (ZNGA) raised $1 billion in December, Renren (RENN) raised $743 million in May, Groupon (GRPN) raised $700 million in November and LinkedIn (LNKD) raised $292 million in May- -- even Google's (GOOG) 2004 IPO of just $1.7 billion will likely fall short of Facebook's IPO.Compared with other industries, Facebook's expected deal size isn't so impressive, although so far this year none match up: four U.S. IPOs have priced for companies that have a market cap of greater than $50 million. The proceeds from those companies totaled $400 million. Eighteen others have filed registration forms, according to Renaissance Capital. The stocks that have priced this year haven't seen much of a pop on their first day of trading. On average, those stocks fell 22% on the first day. The average IPO this year has returned 10.3% from its offer price, Renaissance Capital says. We looked at the 10 largest U.S. offerings in history according to Dealogic.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV