The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (ETF Expert) -- In 2011, the S&P 500 began the year with remarkable fanfare. The benchmark raked in 2.4% in January alone. And yet, in 2012, the S&P 500 has been even more impressive, snagging an eye-popping 4.4%.
The reasons for the risk-on gains may be easy to identify, from the notion that U.S. economic prospects are improving to the feeling that Europe will contain its debt crisis. Throw in the need for short-sellers to cover their profits in the most beaten-down sectors (e.g., alternative energy, metals mining, European financials, etc.), and one's recipe for a rally is nearly complete.
Going forward, however, the decision of one country will be more critical than any other: China.
|1-Month Returns For Resources-Rich Country ETFs And Commodity-Related ETFs|
|iShares MSCI Brazil (EWZ)||15.5%|
|Market Vectors Russia (RSX)||15.2%|
|iShares MSCI Peru (EPU)||13.7%|
|iShares MSCI South Africa (EZA)||9.4%|
|iShares MSCI Australia (EWA)||9.2%|
|iShares MSCI Chile (ECH)||8.6%|
|iShares MSCI Canada (EWC)||7.5%|
|Market Vectors Rare Earth Metals (REMX)||19.5%|
|Market Vectors Steel (SLX)||17.8%|
|First Trust Materials (FXZ)||12.8%|
|SPDR Metals & Mining (XME)||12.4%|
|iShares S&P Global Materials (MXI)||12.0%|
|SPDR S&P 500 Trust (SPY)||4.1%|
Theoretically speaking, reversions to average P/Es should be enough to stoke a fire for equities. That said, we've already seen stocks trade for 440-plus consecutive days below 50-year average P/Es. It follows that we're far more likely to see stocks get a lift from evidence of a "soft" economic landing in China as well as any decisions China may make to keep Europe from the abyss.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV