Eagle Materials Inc. (NYSE: EXP) today reported financial results for the third quarter of fiscal 2012 ended December 31, 2011. Notable items for the quarter include (all comparisons, unless noted, are with the prior-year quarter):
- Revenues of $123.6 million, up 19%
- Cash flow from operations of $16.2 million, up 45%
Adjusted earnings per diluted share of $0.20 and EPS of $0.07 (which
includes Non-routine Items of $0.13) compared with $0.12
- Adjusted earnings per share is a non-GAAP financial measure calculated by excluding non-routine items in the manner described in attachment 5
- Total loss from non-routine items (including the after-tax effect of a loss on debt retirement, certain tax and interest benefits and loss on arbitration ruling) was $5.8 million
Eagle’s low cost operations continued to execute well during this challenging environment for U.S. construction activity. Segment operating earnings increased 30% reflecting improved sales volumes in our cement, wallboard and paperboard businesses and higher wallboard and paperboard net sales prices as compared to the prior year. Operating cash flow was strong during the quarter, further strengthening our financial position.
Cement, Concrete and Aggregates
Operating earnings from Cement for the third quarter were $15.5 million, a 2% increase from the same quarter a year ago. The earnings increase primarily reflects improved sales volumes offset by $2.5 million of additional maintenance costs incurred this quarter versus the prior year quarter. Cement revenues for the quarter, including joint venture and intersegment revenues, totaled $61.5 million, 12% higher than the same quarter last year. Cement sales volumes for the quarter were 700,000 tons, 13% above the same quarter a year ago. The average net cement sales price this quarter was $80.02, generally flat with the same quarter last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV