Citi Trends, Inc. (NASDAQ: CTRN) today reported unaudited sales results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended January 28, 2012.
Total sales in the 13-week period ended January 28, 2012 increased 3.7% to $178.4 million compared with $172.0 million in the 13-week period ended January 29, 2011. Comparable store sales decreased 6.2% in the fourth quarter. By month, comparable store sales were down 10.7% in November, down 2.3% in December and down 11.2% in January. Comparable store sales in January were up more than 3% until the last two days of the month, which were both down 40% due to a delay of one to two weeks for income tax refunds, as announced by the Internal Revenue Service.
For the year, total sales increased 2.9% to $640.8 million compared with $622.5 million in fiscal 2010. Comparable store sales decreased 8.3% for the full year.
The Company stated that, although the year-end closing process has just begun, based on the negative fourth quarter comparable store sales results and a significantly lower gross margin, it expects to report a net loss of approximately $0.40 per diluted share for the fourth quarter. Included in the estimated quarterly loss is the adverse impact of non-cash impairment expense totaling approximately $0.20 per diluted share.Ed Anderson, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, commented, “While we are disappointed to report a loss for the fourth quarter, there are positives to report. Our sales trends improved significantly as we moved through the quarter, except for the impact of the shift in income tax refunds on the last two days of the quarter. We ended the year with the cleanest, best-balanced inventory in some time, preparing us well for the important first quarter. In addition, we continue to be strong financially with an excellent balance sheet, over $60 million of cash and investments, no debt and $50 million of unused capacity under our revolving line of credit.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV