Back then, we said that MDC Holdings may be the safest stock in the sector, simply because its market value of $860 million is below the conservatively-assessed $880 million value of its real estate holdings. Well, the stock has rallied roughly 10% since then and is worth roughly $80 million more than that stated book value figure.Yet the recent upward move may be a sign of even better trading action ahead. That's because tentative signs are emerging that the much-anticipated, long-delayed upturn in new home construction may finally, finally, be at hand. Economists now think we'll see roughly 700,000 housing starts in 2012, roughly 5% ahead of 2011 levels. It's worth noting that for the 50-year stretch from 1957 to 2007, that figure was above 1 million on 45 occasions. The recent drop in new-home construction has enabled supply to drop and if demand perks up just a bit, that 700,000 forecast for 2012 would just be a baseline for years to come.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV