Any time you see a 14.9% dividend yield, it is likely too good to be true. If that dividend was stable and growing, then a horde of investors would buy shares, pushing the price up and the dividend yield down.
Sure enough, high-yielder Apollo Investment (AINV) sports an unsustainably high dividend. From fiscal (March) 2007 through 2009, this investment fund, which must pay out 90% of its income to avoid taxes, offered up a roughly $2 annual dividend. That dividend has fallen to around $1 more recently, and in coming quarters, the annualized payout may slip closer to 75 cents or 80 cents. That's because the firm's current slate of holdings aren't generating the returns to keep the payout above $1.Let's assume the dividend falls to just 75 cents a share. That still equates to a 10% dividend yield. In response to a potential drop in the payout, investors have been selling, pushing AINV down from $12 last spring to a recent $7.50. That's below the $8.12 a share in book value, implying tangible downside support at current levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV